Saturday, June 18, 2011

Samovar Stories - steeped in tea in S.F.

Samovar Tea Lounge owner Jesse Jacobs has started an online video series called Samovar Stories, which feature his interviews with tea lovers and luminaries from all walks of life. A recent session brought together health expert Dr. Andrew Weil and technology entrepreneur Kevin Rose. Future episodes will feature Tony Hsieh (founder of Zappos), Tim Ferris (author, "The 4-Hour Workweek"), Craig Newmark (founder of Craigs list.com) and Graham Hill (founder of the website TreeHugger), among others. The videos, and more information about upcoming events, which are open to the public, can be found at samovarlife.com.

Profession: Tech entrepreneur (CEO of Milk Inc.)

Neighborhood: Hayes Valley

How often do you drink tea?

Daily. I drink caffeinated teas in the morning and herbal teas in the afternoon.

What's the tea lifestyle?

You get stressed out in the environment of a startup. You need a way to get away. Tea has provided that break.

Profession: Marketing at Skype

Neighborhood: San Mateo

How often do you drink tea?

Not as much as I'd like. I go through phases where I need the caffeine jump and I go back on the coffee kick. And then I realize what I've done and go back to drinking tea.

What's the tea lifestyle?

The tea lifestyle has to do with balance.

Profession: Software architect and consultant

Neighborhood: Monterey

How often do you drink tea?

Daily. All day. I am seriously heavy into drinking high-end pu-erh.

What's the tea lifestyle?

Each morning, I start with a pot of tea that I will brew 40 to 50 times throughout the day - same pot; same leaf. At first the tea is energizing, then it mellows out in flavor and stimulation until it becomes like honey water late into the evening.

Profession: Student at UC Berkeley

Neighborhood: Berkeley

How often do you drink tea?

Multiple times a day. When I wake up in the morning, I have a pot of tea and drink throughout the day. I usually end my night with a gong fu cha (ancient Chinese ritual of brewing tea) tea session with my friends. My roommates and I got rid of our TV and replaced it with a tea shelf.

What's the tea lifestyle?

It's about humility. This leaf has infinite amount of flavors, and we can never really know exactly how or why it makes us feel good. Tea is powerful because it keeps us rooted and humble.

Profession: Founder and chair of New Leaf Paper

Neighborhood: Sausalito

How often do you drink tea?

Daily. I drink caffeinated tea every other day and herbal tea daily.

What's the tea lifestyle?

For me, tea is more of an experience than just a drink. There's a process, and the enjoyment of it can be experienced from many different levels. Tea is a part of my lifestyle - it brings out community, slows you down, makes me thoughtful and it's good for you. It just makes a lot of sense to me.

Have an idea for the People Meter? E-mail us at datebookletters@sfchronicle.com.

This article appeared on page E - 6 of the San?Francisco?Chronicle


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment